Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Old Bengbu orphanage sites

I was able to see some of the old sites of the Bengbu orphanages in the past.


Above is a shopping plaza that now occupies the space where the Bengbu SWI stood prior to 2003. None of the structure remains.


It amazed me that for a children's shop, western faced children are on the billboards. I know I'm jaded, but to me, Chinese children are far more cute!



Ms. Wan posing in one of the mini 3-wheeled "cars" for sale in the shopping plaza.


Ms. Wan worked at the old orphanage which is now a shopping plaza. She told me that the only vestige of the old orphanage is the power transformer which still stands. She looked at it wistfully. I wish I could see her memories!





This is a photo of the site where the orphanage was from 2003 to 2007. I was there. There's absolutely nothing left of it. New buildings (presumably hotels) are being erected on the site. The shore of Dragon Lake is being transformed into a modern pedestrian walking areas.

1 comment:

  1. I agree as awful as it sounds, Chinese kids are so much cuter LOL

    ReplyDelete