Saturday, April 16, 2011

The five questions

Helping children at the orphanage is our primary concern at Packages of Hope. This is followed very closely by fulfilling the desire for the donor families to be connected with the orphanage. This is because the orphanage is a Nexus of such supreme importance for so many families. It is an origin point. It is definite, yet clouded in mystery. It is a place of infinite sadness and infinite happiness. It's as far back as many families can see and define in terms of their family's boundless happiness. Yet there are so many unanswered questions. Although the question of "where" and "when", and "what" is known, there is the question of "how". This is a question I can help out with. I hope that the answer to this question helps out to come closer to the most unanswerable question of all -"why". Did I leave out any questions? Sure. But I can answer only part of that one, for now. In the following posts you hear about the nannies, the director, and the foster parents. There is another critical "who". However, but this is not the blog for that question. One of the reasons I like doing this work is that this is not a trip, but rather a journey. I've come to like those much better than trips. A trip is where you know what you're going to get. You have the hotel booked, the tickets to the theme park purchased, and you know just exactly how you're going to feel - happy to be away from the daily grind and the home/office, perhaps reconnected with the spouse and kids, bring back photos that will sit on the shelf and will invoke the standard (and requistely envious) "wow looks like a blast" from all your friends, and usually ending up with a big empty hole in your wallet. Don't get me wrong, this experience is not a bad thing, and I confess that I sorely need one of those at least once or twice a year. But when one goes on a journey, discovery of the unknown takes place. And I have come to know that I not only discover more about unanswerable questions, but also more about myself. In short, I highly recommend it. For, as I was about to find out, it was going to be a trip I was not soon to forget.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    Wonderful thought provoking writing !
    I am waiting with baited breath for the next chapter of your journey ! ... please share
    Regards Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, hope you are enjoying your journey. I am with you in thought and prayer. Can't wait to hear all about your travels!

    ReplyDelete