Sunday, April 24, 2011

A late night visit to the orphanage




Our final approach to the hallowed ground of the QianJiang orphanage started with an unlikely turn off of a main street, punching through the long line of shops and 3-4 story buildings which hugged each other in the pouring rain. The cones of light from the car headlights illuminated the houses lining the road, and reflected large droplets of water like falling diamonds. The car nosed upwards quickly, as the car fell into low gear, the driver winding the wheel as we followed the road snaking up into darkness. With each switchback, the rough road had more and more water flowing downards at us, until I became a bit alarmed that we were actually traveling against a flowing river, rather than a road. Water began to approach us in waves, and waterfalls began appearing at the edges of the switchbacks. I was putting my trust in the driver that the concentrated streams of water formed by the curving road had not eroded any of it into treacherous potholes.


With each jolting dip and splash of the wheels, I was preparing for a log flume ride back down the mountain. Old style Chinese dwellings lined the road, and saw that if the water flow would increase just a bit more, that soon a river flow would be at their doorstep.

I had seen several photographs of the orphanage in daylight (and without rain), and had thought that it would be discernable once I approached it.
But without notice, the car jerked to a halt, and with a lightning strike, I recognized the building facade as we stopped in front of it. The orphanage (formerly a restaurant) was here!



In the moment the car stopped, I had a shudder that washed over me, as I contemplated this sacred place. My mind was transported to another world, one I could only imagine.



I am looking up towards the ceiling, my arms and legs wrapped snugly in well worn clothes. Late at night the light turns on, and I am jolted awake. Sometimes I cry out, sometimes not, because only sometimes my cries are answered. Unfamiliar voices come out of the darkness, and I can hear a commotion of unrest. My friends around me cry out in alarm and discontent.


A very strange face hovers over me and smiles. Is this my parent? No. It couldn't be. It never is, it seems. He looks so strange as he smiles and has such a comforting voice. Does he hold me? No. He just brings out a strange metal thing, and brings it over me, and then a bright flash of light appears. A cry from another bed distracts him, and he moves away from me. I wonder what that was? When will someone come to hold me?



A thunderclap jolts me to open my eyes, and I struggle to steady myself for going inside. I can't help the tear that forms on my cheek. It trickles down to my chin, and I open the car door. The ground is alive with water jumping up with each raindrop. My tear falls, and is lost in a dispassionate sea. I must steel myself to go inside.

I grabbed my backpack and dashed inside.


Once in, along with Kay, Ms. Lu and Ms. Cai, I recognized the surroundings as had been described by the others who had been here before me.

I was greeted in the hallway by a large bulletin board which showed all the photos and letters of families who had adopted children from QianJiang, We were able to take photos, and also see a board which listed the donations from charities. Please click the link to the video of donations and entrance to the orphanage HERE



A small woman came out of the darkness and the din of the rain, and she was carrying what was the reason for all of our journey... a precious baby!

We were led into one of the rooms where we were introduced to about 10 children, most of whom were asleep, but many who had been awakened by the rain.


I looked at a few of the children, and finally held a few. I wished I could have taken them all with me home.


The director asked if we wanted to see some of the other children, and we went out to a courtyard where I've seen so many phtotos taken before, where the rain was coming down hard enough to make a shallow pond out of a large courtyard. The next room was filled with children in cribs.

We talked a bit about the what we could do to help the kids further in addition to our milk powder donation. We had calculated that our donation was enough for approximately four months of milk powder supply. The donation enabled the orphanage to free up funds for other needed items. We offered an additional donation for the children to buy them underclothes, as the clothes we had bought them for Spring Festival were currently being worn only and no undergarments were close to their skin. The director also asked if we could find mattreses that acan be better washed, in stead of the cloth ones thay have which are more stinky and difficult to clean. I told them that we would work on it.

It was getting late, and we were all exhausted. We said our goodbyes for the night, and went back to the hotel to end our rather long day.



I offer this below photo at the end of this post, as I write this many days after the event, and tell you that the image of this child whom I did not hold, is burned forever in my mind.









No comments:

Post a Comment