Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Inspiration

It’s wonderful to remember when you first fell in love. I close my eyes and smile with great delight when remembering it was as all great love stories start: with a chance encounter. A moment that, as it approaches, seems unremarkable, if not a bit tedious. Then it hits. As if you are engrossed in the monotonous rowing of a boat through dark and murky waters. Stroke after stroke, plodding forward in the same direction, the wake behind you a symmetry of neverending waves extending in a constant direction outwards, providing stability in knowing where you have been, and where you are going, however empty it feels at the time. And then, a single heart stopping jolt strikes the keel. Your balance is thrown as the boat rocks, and every one of the senses comes alive. Was it a submerged rock that will rip apart the boat like the Titanic? Was it a wayward creature of the deep? As the fear rises, it could be something else which has targeted this frail craft? At once you feel exposed and helpless, a victim, paralyzed like a mindless insect caught in the web of a much smarter predator. The jolt comes again, and the boat heaves to one side, the bow moving to the starboard and the port. The waters churn, and the wake disappears, and you realize that the rowing has stopped. The jolt ceases, and for a long moment you wait for another, but it doesn’t come. In stunned silence, the boat has no direction. Then, you pick up the oars and start rowing again, not knowing which new direction the bow is headed. That’s how love begins. For me, when I picked up the oars and started rowing again, I found myself, for the first time, seeing the sun rise in beautiful splendor on the horizon where I was now pointed. My muscles found new strength, my face bore a new smile. And when you’re headed in the Right direction, there’s nothing tedious about it. People look at you in curious, and often jealous, admiration. The oppressive waves of obstacles can’t deter you. Storms, the occasional leak, or even the jeers from those bigger and larger and faster boats, can’t weaken your resolve. But even now, as I am steadfastly on my way, I can remember that frightening jolt, which now makes my heart soar with happiness, but at the time, was so terrifying. I so much enjoy to hear everyone’s story about this moment, as much as I like retelling mine. I would like to think I share this trait in common with others who have adopted children from China, and have decided as a result to engage in charity work, but I realize that this story is shared by others of different background and beginnings. I am humbled to be a part of such a group of charity workers, and I beg for forgiveness in the indulgence of the hubris of my joy and inspiration, my two daughters. As time goes on, and my love for my daughters deepens, I begin to notice everything in my world that reminds me of them, and my journey to them. The Golden Rain trees in my yard, whose bloom signals the beginning of autumn, and the times I first left for China, long before I was united with my children. I used to mourn the arrival of these blossoms, as I would often be gone during their colorful and short-lived deep yellow bloom, followed by their falling and carpeting of the ground in natural splendor. Now I realize they were rejoicing at the jolt that was to come, when I would fall in love with China, and finally be united with our daughters. How could I possibly know that this journey to them would take me even more places of wonder that I had ever hoped for, and has brought me to faraway places that I never thought I would visit, and discover truer purpose of my life? I am thankful for them, as I am thankful for the children and other kind people I have met in China in the course of my charity work. Although I am looking forward to helping the children during this journey, I realize that I am such a small part of the story. The children of course are the reason why we are all here. And more about them later. The orphanage staff, the directors and the administration who work their skills in politics and wisdom in order to help the children. The nannies deserve praise, for their tireless work everyday with the children. They are the emotional caregivers, who not only sweat and toil for very little pay, but are also devoted to their very core for the children they care for. Local volunteers must also be praised. They are kind and thoughtful enough to dedicate their time and money to entertain and guide foreigners to navigate not only language barriers, but also serve as cultural translators. They are the link between East and West, between people who wish to do good, and those who need help. Then there are the donors, who with faith and with desire to make the world a better place, provide money, services and gifts, in order to help the children. There are doctors, storekeepers, couriers, and just local people who see our mission and go out of their way to help and make our way easier. And why do we do all of this? Have a look below, and you will see why each of us takes an oar, and journeys with great resolve across an ocean..


No comments:

Post a Comment