Sunday, April 24, 2011

Qianjiang - new orphanage location

(a museum in the center of town)








We sped off from the hotel, and I was happy to take in the sights and sound of town. I had a few requests from families to take some photos of finding spot locations. As an adoptive parent of 2 children born in China, I must say my pulse quickened at the prospect of this task. Buildings whizzed by and my host was busy chatting with Kay in the back seat as I contemplated the nexus of time and space of such an incredibly momentous event. I can only imagine pain and fear, sadness and despair. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply, trying to identify each smell that came to me. Damp moist air, a bit of must from inside the car mixed with air freshener. I rolled the window down, and smelled the green of leaves and trees. The mechanical sound of cars passing by, the faint and acrid smell of car exhaust, and the smell of wet asphalt after the morning rain.




The car came to a halt, and the chatting stopped. Kay words threw me into my senses as she said,




"we are here".




I didn't want to leave the car, as I saw the gate and address mentioned in the email. "She was found at the gate....." the email read.




Tears welled in my eyes, and a confused passerby carrying a blue umbrella watched me approach this sacred place.




I stood for a moment wanting to scream. Wanting to pierce the darkness and haze of unknown pain. I could hear my own scream in my ears, my throat becoming raw with massive exhale and yell.




But there was only silence, and a small prayer.




I stayed there a moment, and looked all around, and took as many pictures as I could for the family. Their daughter was with their forever family now, and I knew that this was ultimately the Reason.




It was time to leave this place. Without a moment of reflection, I startled my hosts. "Let's go. There is nothing here now."




We continued on in our journey, and our next stop was the new orphanage.






(Three beautiful women of China - from left to right - former Qianjiang director Cai Sheng Hua, former director Lu Jun Lan, and Packages of Hope volunteer Mrs. Zhang Yuan - Kay)






In October 2005, I visited the orphanage in Bengbu SWI in Anhui province, and saw it under construction. (see my blog post from 2005 here and 2007 here ).




This site was very similar, and visiting this place and seeing what was to come in the next few years filled me with a sense of joy as to what was to come for the orphan children and the people of Qianjiang.




To see the video of the new Qiangjiang orphanage, please click here.




The the buildings were covered with scaffolding. The site was a hodge podge of construction workers, raw building materials, and power lines going everywhere.




The building who's frame was erected before us was for the foster care family children. I was shown some blueprints where they showed me the different buildings of the SWI, which would include buildings for the children as well as the elderly population for the SWI.

The surrounding area looked so beautiful. The hilly terrain, and the deep orange clay soil reminded me a lot of my new home in North carolina and the nearby smoky mountains.



It was there that I was introduced to the orphanage founder, Mr. Yu. He presented me with a small gift, and his bright eyes and smille conveyed a desire to be connected to us and the families of Qianjiang. It was my impression that the man was a visionary with a real heart for the children.




Mr. Yu had started the orphanage with his own funding and had operated the facility privately for many years. However, now it has been taken over by the government and become a full SWI. However, it is clear that Mr. Yu still has a heart for the children, and still is involved with the orphanage's future.




(from Left to Right - Kay, me, and orphanage founder Mr. Yu)





(What the main building will look like following construction. The highlights of the translation reads "Qianjiang social welfare institute Zheng Yan street beside of the office of community government. 1849.76 square meters land area. building height is 15.75m, 4 floors, height of first floor 4.5 m, 3.6 meter height for 2nd floor and 3rd floor.")

No comments:

Post a Comment